The “Essential Guide for Renal Dietitians” is designed as a resource for dietitians, dietetic interns and students. It is a 209 page resource which provides detailed and practical information plus extensive references on topics related to assessment and provision of nutrition care for pediatric and adult individuals at all stages of Chronic Kidney Disease (CKD). This guide is designed specifically for our members and is available in the member's portal. See the update here:
Topics covered in this resource include:
- Pocket Reference for a Dietitian in a CKD/Renal Program
- List of Renal Cookbooks, Internet Resource List and Recommended References & Resources for a Dietitian in a CKD/Renal Program
- Renal Physiology and Background Information on CKD
- Nutrition Assessment and SGA in CKD
- Interpretation of Laboratory Data and Tests in CKD
- Calcium and Phosphorus Metabolism in CKD
- Urea Kinetics
- Nutrition and Medical Therapy for CKD Stages 1-5, ARF and Kidney Transplant
- Enteral, Parenteral, and Intraperitoneal Nutrition Therapy in CKD
- Pediatrics and Chronic Kidney Disease
- Nutrition Considerations for Patients with CKD and Diabetes and/or Dyslipidemia and/or Kidney Stones and/or Weight Control
- Medications, Vitamins, Minerals & Herbal Remedies in CKD
- Conversion of Laboratory Tests from SA to Conventional Units
In 2002, CAND members recommended that the “Survival Guide for Renal Dietitians”, a 30 page resource developed in 1992, be revised. It was determined that a major time and labour commitment would be required to complete this project. Since CAND had financial reserves available and the completed resource would be of benefit to members, it was recommended that this project be contracted out by the CAND Executive. In 2003 a proposal, was accepted by the executive; it outlined a plan for revising and updating the information in the original Survival Guide, adding in nine new sections and including a summary chart of each section to use separately as a pocket reference. Based on CAND member feedback it was decided to change the name of the resource to the “Essential Guide for Renal Dietitians”. Initially the project was scheduled to be completed by 2005; however, due to the size of the project, the revision and lengthy and detailed editing process the 2nd edition was released in March 2008. Extensive volunteer commitment from the editorial team led by Darlene Broad; consisting of a core group composed of Eileen Carolan, Elaine Clarke, Gulnar Damji, Rebecca Larratt-Smith and Melanie Roet made the 2nd edition of the guide a reality. .Many other dietitians contributed and are acknowledged in the guide. A survey was completed one year after the release and work was started on the 3rd edition.
The Essential Guide for Renal Dietitians 3rd edition 2010 is now available in a coil bound format for easy desktop reference. CAND members who already access this valuable resource online now have the opportunity to own a professionally published copy. Non-CAND members may also purchase the printed edition of The Essential Guide for Renal Dietitians 3rd edition 2010 to support their practice. This is the time to share The Essential Guide for Renal Dietitians with colleagues and students.
Please note that the purchase price of the Essential Guide has not increased. Purchase price, including GST, shipping and handling, is just $50.00.
For each copy ordered please send $50.00 (cheques payable to Dietitians of Canada) to:
6245 Scollos Place